If you have been following this blog for a while now, you know that the hardest part of starting of paleo diet for me was breakfast.
Healthy Breakfast associations
A healthy breakfast is often associated with “complicated”, “takes too long to prepare in the morning” and “I’ll just skip breakfast”.
So, go on, keep reading…
I was the kind of person that would eat either bread or cereals each morning.
Therefore, avoiding grains was quite an adjustment for me. Do you feel the same?
That’s where planning ahead becomes sooooo important.
Really, you are probably tired of hearing it, but, it’s reality. There are a few easy recipes that can be made during the weekend or prepared when you cook dinner the night before.
Here is one of my favorite life saver healthy breakfast recipe. Try it, it’s absolutely delicious, filing and will keep you from falling for the drive-thru option.
It’s completely grain-free, dairy-free and will keep you full until lunch time.
It’s paleo approved and will give you the necessary proteins, vegetables and healthy fats you seek for and need at each one of your meals.
There are many options of ingredients you can choose from for this one-pan recipe. You can use left over grilled vegetables and meat. Make sure you use healthy cooking oils such as coconut oil or avocado oil, which have high smoke points and more stable oils for cooking. You will find suggestions for switching ingredients at the end of the recipe below.
Note that the pictures showned in this blog post shows 2 recipes, one with kale and sausage, the other one with mushrooms and green onions.
Let me know if you find it useful for busy mornings but commenting at the bottom of the page. Gracias!
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 pound ground turkey (or ground chicken)
- 1 1/2 cups of loosely packed kale leaves, ribs removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Coconut oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven at 400F degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 10 eggs. Set aside.
- Step 1 : In an oven-proof skillet or cast iron pan over medium high heat, cook onions and garlic until tender and translucent, for about 5 minutes.
- Step 2 : Add meat, brown and cook ground turkey until it's cooked through.
- Step 3 - 4 :Gently add in the mushrooms, kale leaves and eggs.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes before running a spatula along the edge of the eggs & pan. Let cook for 1-2 minutes more, making sure the top of the frittata is still uncooked. Place the entire skillet carefully into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once the top has cooked through and browned a little, remove the pan, serve warm or reheat in microwave the next morning.
- bacon, ground beef, sausages, pulled pork, shrimps, salmon or even ground lamb
- asparagus, red bell peppers, zucchini, butternut squash, potatoes, spinach, arugula